Designed for New York City's Battery Park, Chair212 is an answer to a call for entries in the Draw Up a Chair design competition. It was created as a team project between myself and another designer.
We conducted research at Battery Park, Bryant Park, and Ellis Square in Savannah, GA.; focusing on the way that people use portable seating in public spaces, and leveraged this research in our final design.
A series of criteria was established by the Battery Park Conservancy, including:
- Moveable seats that are suitable for outdoor use and a range of activities (eating, lounging, sitting)
- Stackable seats that can be easily stored and locked
- Seats that are friendly to the grass-lawn surface of the Park
- Seats that fit into the Park as a whole
- Beautiful, comfortable, and durable seats that are economical to manufacture